It can be both exciting and scary to make the move to college.
For most freshmen, it is their first taste of freedom and independence.
While you might thrive off the independence from your parents’ rule, you’ll also want to fit with other students on campus in order to have the best experience possible. Here are some of our tips for fitting in during your first semester on your own.
Meet as Many People as Possible
This is a crucial first step. If you don’t open up and talk with others as soon as school starts, then you risk alienating yourself. This doesn’t mean you need to be absolute best friends with everyone you meet right off the bat, or have in-depth conversations from the start. However, it will benefit you by establishing you as an approachable and social person. Be sure to introduce yourself to new students at orientation and don’t be afraid to ask for numbers.
Be Involved in Your Studies
Don’t view going to class as an annoying obligation. It is, after all, the point of going to college in the first place. If you want to have a good attitude towards your school, you’ll need to have a good attitude when going to class. This means you should attend class regularly, be prepared with all necessary materials, and be actively engaged in the lecture and any discussions that follow. By being an example model student, you’ll find you can integrate yourself in college much more successfully that you would otherwise.
Find Organizations and Activities That Interest You
Outside of classes and parties, a great way to meet people is by joining organizations or taking part in activities of interest on campus. In addition to Greek organizations such as fraternities and sororities, there should also be organizations on campus based on things such as recreation and shared political interests. If you meet people with similar interests and wish to form an organization, you can do so and potentially meet more people you share commonalities with.
While you might want to enjoy the local nightlife and parties, don’t let them be your only outlet. Parties are a great opportunity to meet new people, but having friends from the get-go is a lot more fun too. Stay safe as well. Many freshman forget about things like designated drivers, the buddy system and other precautions to take at parties.
A lawyer at the Khan Law Firm, PLLC says it is a good idea to get more information from the counseling office on how to stay safe on and off campus.
Your first semester of college is bound to feel a little strange at first. The good news is, you won’t be alone in that regard. There will be hundreds or thousands of other students in the same position as you. The best thing you can do as a new college student is to be as welcoming and courteous to everyone you meet.
- ★ROOMY COMPARTMENT: Laptop compartment holds up to a 15.6 inch laptop.Size: 11.81" L x 18.50" H x 5.12"W. Weight: 1.32 Lb.
- ★USB CHARGING PORT：External USB with built-in charging cable.
- ★LIGHTWEIGHT & STYLISH : The design of the backpack is simple and stylish.Good backpack for college，school, working, traveling, and everyday using.
- Dimensions:20 x 12.2 x 5.7 inch with dedicated Laptop compartment holds Laptops less than 17 Inch
- 3 MAIN pockets & 9 INNER small pockets & 2 SEALED SIDE pockets,provides a separated space for your Laptop, iPhone, iPad, pen, keys, wallet, books, clothes,bottle and more.
- External USB with built-in charging cable
- Rain Cover & Shockproof---this laptop backpack is shockproof design with the laptop compartment padded with the thick foams to help reduce the damage of dropping and striking. There is a special waterproof rain cover hidden inside at the bottom of the backpack with a velcro closure, to avoid your notebook backpack wet.
- Numerous compartments and with ultralight durable Nylon material.Featured at a shockproof laptop compartment, a mezzanine large capacity compartment, several different sizes object pouches and two sided stretch mesh pockets for beverage/water bottle, which can carry all stuffs your trip, workday, or school day need to take.
- Stylish and Multifunctional purposes: This backpack is fashionable and suitable as travel bag,school bag,books bag,laptop bag, notebook bag,tablet bag,business bag in diverse occasions, like school, workplace, traveling or daily going out.
Last update on %last_update% / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API