It can be both exciting and scary to make the move to college.
For most freshmen, it is their first taste of freedom and independence.
While you might thrive off the independence from your parents’ rule, you’ll also want to fit with other students on campus in order to have the best experience possible. Here are some of our tips for fitting in during your first semester on your own.
Meet as Many People as Possible
This is a crucial first step. If you don’t open up and talk with others as soon as school starts, then you risk alienating yourself. This doesn’t mean you need to be absolute best friends with everyone you meet right off the bat, or have in-depth conversations from the start. However, it will benefit you by establishing you as an approachable and social person. Be sure to introduce yourself to new students at orientation and don’t be afraid to ask for numbers.
Be Involved in Your Studies
Don’t view going to class as an annoying obligation. It is, after all, the point of going to college in the first place. If you want to have a good attitude towards your school, you’ll need to have a good attitude when going to class. This means you should attend class regularly, be prepared with all necessary materials, and be actively engaged in the lecture and any discussions that follow. By being an example model student, you’ll find you can integrate yourself in college much more successfully that you would otherwise.
Find Organizations and Activities That Interest You
Outside of classes and parties, a great way to meet people is by joining organizations or taking part in activities of interest on campus. In addition to Greek organizations such as fraternities and sororities, there should also be organizations on campus based on things such as recreation and shared political interests. If you meet people with similar interests and wish to form an organization, you can do so and potentially meet more people you share commonalities with.
While you might want to enjoy the local nightlife and parties, don’t let them be your only outlet. Parties are a great opportunity to meet new people, but having friends from the get-go is a lot more fun too. Stay safe as well. Many freshman forget about things like designated drivers, the buddy system and other precautions to take at parties.
A lawyer at the Khan Law Firm, PLLC says it is a good idea to get more information from the counseling office on how to stay safe on and off campus.
Your first semester of college is bound to feel a little strange at first. The good news is, you won’t be alone in that regard. There will be hundreds or thousands of other students in the same position as you. The best thing you can do as a new college student is to be as welcoming and courteous to everyone you meet.
- DIMENSIONS for our BUSSINESS & FASHIONAL style DAYPACK:20 x 12.2 x 5.7 inch with dedicated Laptop compartment holds Laptops less than 17 Inch
- MULTI-COMPARTMENT & CLASSIFIED: 3 MAIN pockets & 9 INNER small pockets & 2 SEALED SIDE pockets,provides a separated space for your Laptop, iPhone, iPad, pen, keys, wallet, books, clothes,bottle and more. Easy find what you want
- USB PORT DESIGN: With built in USB charger outside and built in charging cable inside,this usb backpack offers you a more convenient way to charge your phone while walking. Please noted that this backpack doesn't power itself, usb charging port only offers an easy access to charge
- ★LOTS OF STORAGE SPACE&POCKETS: One separate laptop compartment hold 15.6 Inch Laptop as well as 15 Inch,14 Inch and 13 Inch Macbook/Laptop. One spacious packing compartment roomy for daily necessities,tech electronics accessories. Front compartment with many pockets, pen pockets and key fob hook, make your items organized and easier to find
- ★COMFY&STURDY: Comfortable airflow back design with thick but soft multi-panel ventilated padding, gives you maximum back support. Breathable and adjustable shoulder straps relieve the stress of shoulder. Foam padded top handle for a long time carry on
- ★FUNCTIONAL&SAFE: A luggage strap allows backpack fit on luggage/suitcase, slide over the luggage upright handle tube for easier carrying. With a hidden anti theft pocket on the back protect your valuable items from thieves. Well made for international airplane travel and day trip
- ✓ STYLISH - carry your laptop safely and comfortably wherever you are travelling with our fashionable and practical laptop rucksack.
- ✓ VERSATILITY - store your laptop, textbooks, magazines, iPhone, iPad, pen, keys, wallet, books, clothes, bottle and more within the bag's 9 pockets. It includes 4 zipper pockets, 2 side pockets, 1 laptop sleeve and 2 interior slip compartments to keep your belongings safe and secure.
- ✓ SIZE - measures 12"L x 18"H x 7"W. It has a capacity of 35 litres making it an ideal laptop bag for devices measuring up to 15.6 inches.
Last update on 2018-03-06 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API