For many of us over a certain age, the idea of education and entertainment don’t go together.
Education evokes memories of long, wrote-style memorizing, with the teacher talking for extended periods of time while students listened.
A Better Way to Learn
But studies have proven that this is not the most effective way of learning. Neurological studies from both 1997 and 2003 show that environments of stress and boredom are prohibitive to learning. Students learn best when they have a strong emotive reaction to something.
In application, an experiment published in College Teaching, an academic journal for those in the education field, found that students could recall a lecture on statistics more easily when the lecturer added jokes into her monologue. In the workplace, employees are also more likely to try new things when there is an element of fun.
Applying the Research to Workplace Training
With entertainment and engagement holding the key to information retention and more efficient learning, many organizers of workplace training are modifying their courses to provide more engagement and entertainment.
Gamification is becoming more popular, where workers compete against one another during the course of their training. This is particularly effective in situations where workers have to complete training courses in their own time. An office leader board with a small reward for the individual who completes the most training sessions or performs the best in all the sessions keeps participants engaged and on track with the training.
Interactive activities are also a great way to break up long periods of sitting and listening. An activity which involves communication and group work will offer a change of scenery and re-engage participants who have become bored and disengaged.
To retain engagement, doing away with “lectures” altogether is helpful. Holding conversations instead is one way of keeping participants engaged. For example, a lecture on Safety in the Workplace sounds dry, disinteresting, and dull. However, a conversation, which invites participants to share their thoughts and experiences, which includes a mind mapping session of how the employees think the workplace can be made safer, is a far more engaging way to learn.
Many courses are using entertaining videos as a way to make training more interesting. This appeals to visual learners as well, who may not find it easy to retain information that is presented to them in an auditory form.
Examples of Entertainment and Education
Modern technology provides more avenues to include entertainment in workplace education. It has facilitated the creation of eye-catching visuals and allowed information to be presented in a more interesting and engaging way.
Going one step further, some workplace training companies are camouflaging training as entertainment. One company is providing IT video training disguised as quality entertainment, with exceptional results.
The marriage between education and entertainment is not merely a modern technology trend. It is providing professionals with a more efficient way of learning. Teaching techniques which blend the two are providing professionals with more dynamic classes, with more learner participation, and providing them with the tools to retain more information. “Edutainment” is the future of professional development and workplace learning.
Image Credit: Pixabay
quick share with your friends
Amazon Bestsellers: Bed Linens (for college dorm or apartment)
- 3 PIECE BED SHEET SET: 1 pillow case and flat sheet and fitted sheet. Flat Sheet (66"x 102") Fitted Sheet (39"x 80") 1 Pillow Case (20"x 30")
- DEEP POCKETS/ EASY FIT: They fit mattresses up to around 16 inches deep. If your mattress is smaller than 16 inches it will fit just fine. A lot of mattresses are pretty...
- FEEL THE DIFFERENCE: If you're looking for very soft sheets you have found them! They're breathable, cool and super silky soft. The comfort of these sheets will have you...
- Includes 66 x 90 inch comforter, 66 x 96 inch flat sheet, 39 x 80 inch fitted sheet, 20 x 26 inch sham, and 20 x 30 inch pillowcase
- All pieces of set conveniently complement each other to produce a complete and stylish bedding design
- Fabric is made of 100% polyester microfiber for a soft and gentle texture
- FABRIC STORAGE ORGANIZER BAGS (3 Pack, Gray)-Store and protect clothing and household items with convenient organizer bags -Features a large clear window view and carry...
- CLUTTER-FREE STORAGE-Use for seasonal clothing, blankets, linens, holiday decorations, toys, photos, baby clothes, as saree bags, etc - Great for home, college dorm,...
- LIGHTWEIGHT & PORTABLE - Carry handles lift bags for stacking or transporting from place- to-place- Easily moves to shelves, closets, etc-Quickly pack/unpack between...
- Twin Extra-Long set includes a 66 x 96 inch flat sheet, 39 x 80 x 14 inch fitted sheet, and 20 x 30 inch pillowcase
- Polyester microfiber offers strength and exceptional softness
- Fitted sheet has elastic to stretch and fit snugly over mattresses up to 16-inches deep
- IT'S TIME TO LIVE THE EMPYREAN 5-STAR EXPERIENCE - Our premium all-in-one bedding set is here to turn your master or guest bedroom into a 5-star hotel suite with the...
- SAY GOODBYE TO ALLERGIES OR SKIN IRRITATIONS ONCE & FOR ALL - The exceptional bedding set by Empyrean Bedding is 100% hypoallergenic, since the microfiber design repels...
- SUPERIOR-QUALITY MICROFIBER FOR YOUR MAXIMUM COMFORT - The Empyrean Bedding contemporary bed sheets set is made of 100% superior-quality, brushed microfiber fabric, which...
Last update on 2019-04-24 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API