For many of us over a certain age, the idea of education and entertainment don’t go together.
Education evokes memories of long, wrote-style memorizing, with the teacher talking for extended periods of time while students listened.
A Better Way to Learn
But studies have proven that this is not the most effective way of learning. Neurological studies from both 1997 and 2003 show that environments of stress and boredom are prohibitive to learning. Students learn best when they have a strong emotive reaction to something.
In application, an experiment published in College Teaching, an academic journal for those in the education field, found that students could recall a lecture on statistics more easily when the lecturer added jokes into her monologue. In the workplace, employees are also more likely to try new things when there is an element of fun.
Applying the Research to Workplace Training
With entertainment and engagement holding the key to information retention and more efficient learning, many organizers of workplace training are modifying their courses to provide more engagement and entertainment.
Gamification is becoming more popular, where workers compete against one another during the course of their training. This is particularly effective in situations where workers have to complete training courses in their own time. An office leader board with a small reward for the individual who completes the most training sessions or performs the best in all the sessions keeps participants engaged and on track with the training.
Interactive activities are also a great way to break up long periods of sitting and listening. An activity which involves communication and group work will offer a change of scenery and re-engage participants who have become bored and disengaged.
To retain engagement, doing away with “lectures” altogether is helpful. Holding conversations instead is one way of keeping participants engaged. For example, a lecture on Safety in the Workplace sounds dry, disinteresting, and dull. However, a conversation, which invites participants to share their thoughts and experiences, which includes a mind mapping session of how the employees think the workplace can be made safer, is a far more engaging way to learn.
Many courses are using entertaining videos as a way to make training more interesting. This appeals to visual learners as well, who may not find it easy to retain information that is presented to them in an auditory form.
Examples of Entertainment and Education
Modern technology provides more avenues to include entertainment in workplace education. It has facilitated the creation of eye-catching visuals and allowed information to be presented in a more interesting and engaging way.
Going one step further, some workplace training companies are camouflaging training as entertainment. One company is providing IT video training disguised as quality entertainment, with exceptional results.
The marriage between education and entertainment is not merely a modern technology trend. It is providing professionals with a more efficient way of learning. Teaching techniques which blend the two are providing professionals with more dynamic classes, with more learner participation, and providing them with the tools to retain more information. “Edutainment” is the future of professional development and workplace learning.
Image Credit: Pixabay
quick share with your friends
Amazon Bestsellers: Bed Linens (for college dorm or apartment)
- Includes 66 x 90 inch comforter, 66 x 96 inch flat sheet, 39 x 80 inch fitted sheet, 20 x 26 inch sham, and 20 x 30 inch pillowcase
- All pieces of set conveniently complement each other to produce a complete and stylish bedding design
- Fabric is made of 100% polyester microfiber for a soft and gentle texture
- Jumbo Storage Bags. Measurement: 28"(L)*13"(W) *17"(H), Nearly 100L storage capacity organizer storage bag which fits two full sized comforters and 3/4 throw pillows with...
- Travelling bag with unique 2 Sides Big Clear Windows and 3 Sides Open Zipper Design for quick viewing what are stored inside the container and packing easier. Great bag...
- Waterproof thick fabric moving supplies and Tough webbing handles secured with over 12 inches of extra stitching along the webbing, and down the sides of the bag, to...
- Heavy gauge tempered steel coils provide a firm mattress with exceptional support and durability perfect for a kids room, guest beds, or an affordable low profile option
- Fire resistant barrier meets flammability standards and helps keep your loved ones safe while they sleep
- Quilted fabric cover and foam layer offers a layer of top cushioning for increased comfort
- COMFORTER SET - Goose down alternative Twin/Twin XL size comforter measuring 64 inches x 88 inches with single pillow sham measuring 20 inches x 26 inches with 2 inches...
- BRUSHED MICROFIBER - The brushed microfiber fabric is 100 percent polyester which provides an extremely soft and comfortable feel
- DURABLE - Solid pattern comforter is highly durable with a high tensile strength, making it strong and less likely to rip or tear; it is filled with 3D hollow siliconized...
- Adequate sleep plays a vital role in a healthy lifestyle, these comforters are crafted with smooth microfiber and specially made to enhance your sleeping experience.
- Made with 100% super soft microfiber polyester that makes your bed comfy and cozy
- What's In This Set 2 Sham (20" x 26") 1 comforter (92" x 92") 1 Dust Ruffle (60" x 80") 1st Decorative Pillow (12" x 18") (17" x 17")
Last update on 2019-11-15 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API