You want to appear for a licensing exam for medical students in the US, for which you have found a great USMLE preparation study program.
That’s great news! The next thing on your agenda is to fly to the US and start living your dream.
Your passport is ready, your bags are packed, and you are all set to start your study adventure abroad.
Not so fast! Are you mentally prepared to experience a life that is about to come your way? Take a quick run-through of this mental preparation checklist to ensure that you are ready to take on what’s coming your way.
1: Develop Responsible Independence
In a place away from home, you are on your own. You parents are not going to be there to motivate you and help you make decisions with regards to your studies, food and finances. They are not going to be present to check on how you manage your time or stay away from destructive habits. You are an adult now and need to be responsible for yourself. Start developing this mindset and practice this transition of power often. Take ownership of your life and act responsibly, before you start college.
2: Spend Time Chalking Out a Plan to Meet your Objectives
You need to constantly keep in mind that you are studying abroad so that you are able to build a solid career foundation for yourself. Start identifying your goals and vigilantly keep a track of them. List down your objectives and behaviors that will support your progress. It is a good idea to write down the destructive behaviors that can keep you from achieving your goals. For example, if your goal is to achieve 260 in USMLE Step 1, you might write “partying with friends” as a reason that might stop you from achieving this goal.
3: Make a Visit to the Campus
Visit your campus and spend some time there get an idea of what to expect. Try to get contact information of students in your class and get acquainted with them. Find out the types of activities and clubs the college offers that you might be interested in. By making a visit to the campus, you get to know about the college atmosphere better than before.
4: Commit To Time Management
If fail to manage time well, you are bound to make college life difficult for you. The best way to manage time is by staying organized. If you find time management difficult, there are various digital tools and study planning apps online to help you. Creating a detailed study schedule that blocks the slots for homework, studying, classes, etc. will help you to stay organized. Spend a few minutes at the end of each day to plan for the next day.
5: Be Open To Diversity
Before you set foot on campus, be prepared to meet people from different economic, religious, racial, and cultural backgrounds. Don’t be judgmental; be open to accept unfamiliar information and flexible enough to thrive in such an environment.
6: Prepare for Financial Stress
Once you are in college, you surely will go through the financial stress of living independently. Paying for your own food, accommodation, gasoline, etc., becomes a reality. Therefore, before you attend college, prepare yourself to budget and keep a track of your expenses. Start practicing living on a shoe-string budget.
Image Credit: Pixabay
quick share with your friends
Amazon Bestsellers: Dorm TV (for college dorm or apartment)
- True 16:9 Resolution 1600 x 900
- High Contrast Ratio: 5,000,000: 1.20 inches LED HD+ Monitor (19.5 inches Diagonal corner to corner). Dimensions With Stand (Inches) 18.01 x 7.02 x13.57 (inches)....
- HDMI, DVI or VGA Input. Power Range :100 - 240 VAC, 50/60 Hz, 1.1A (Max.)
- Monitor: 21.5-inch diagonal Full HD (1920x1080) IPS; Enjoy vibrant images with 178-degree wide-viewing angles
- Resolution and aspect ratio: Full HD and 16:9; 2 million pixels for crystal-clear visuals and vibrant image quality
- Response time: 7ms with overdrive; Get a smooth picture that looks crisp and fluid without motion blur
- Dimensions (W x H x D): TV without stand: 28.9" x 17.1" x 3.2", TV with stand: 28.9" x 19.2" x 7.2"
- Smart functionality offers access to over 4,000 streaming channels featuring more than 450,000 movies and TV episodes via Roku TV
- 720p HD resolution for a crisp picture. 120V - 60Hz 50W
- 24" Ultra slim profile
- Contemporary sleek metallic design
- Slim bezel with thin chassis
- 10.1 inch Computer Display: High resolution : 1024*600 RGB; Aspect ratio: 16:9;Built-in speaker;Power supply: 9-30V DC(AC adapter: 12V); Video system: PAL / NTSC.
- Multi-functional Mini TV Screen: It support VGA / AVI / HDMI / DVD / PC / CCTV / TV, compatible with security system, vehicle monitor, backup camera system, it is...
- 2-channel video inputs: Automatically switch to backup camera picture when car backup. And back to your DVD/VCD video when you finished car reverse.
Last update on 2018-11-13 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API