If you own a Samsung Galaxy Note 7, there is good news and bad news.
The bad news is that all Note 7 devices sold prior to September 15th of this year have been recalled, both by Samsung and the Consumer Protection Safety Commission (CPSC).
The good news is that if you own a Note 7 that falls within the recall window, you are eligible for a full refund, a new replacement, or an exchange for a like alternative.
Here’s what you need to know to exchange your device.
Why is the Phone Being Recalled?
The Galaxy Note7 recall affects all Samsung Note 7 devices sold prior to September 15th, 2016. It does not affect Samsung Galaxy S7 or S7 Edge devices, so if you own one of those, you can breathe a sigh of relief.
The affected Note 7 devices were shipped to retailers with a manufacturing defect. Unfortunately, this defect can cause the negative and positive poles of the battery to come into contact with each other. If this happens, the battery rapidly overheats, which can lead to fire or even an explosion. There have been dozens of reported fires with affected devices, some of which have led to injuries.
Needless to say, if you own a Note 7 device, you should stop using it immediately and return it to your nearest retailer or wireless carrier for a replacement. The phone should not be charged or powered up, and if you are flying, the FAA strongly advises that you not stow or pack it in your checked baggage.
What are Your Exchange Options?
Thankfully, you have options if your Galaxy Note 7 was recalled. Wireless carriers like T-Mobile and in conjunction with Samsung, are making it very easy to return the affected device. If you own a Note 7 that has been recalled, you can choose one of the following exchange options.
- Exchange for a New Note 7:
As of September 21st, Samsung has been offering new Note 7 devices approved by the CPSC through retailers and wireless stores. If you like your Note 7 (its large screen and stylus make it a natural fit for college students), you can exchange it for a new replacement at no cost. And no restocking fees or other charges will apply either. If you opt to exchange your device for a new replacement, it’s worth noting that retailers and wireless carriers will likely be unable to transfer data or contact information, due to CPSC safety guidelines.
- Exchange for Another Device:
Of course, if you decide that you would like to replace your Galaxy Note 7 with a different device, nobody is going to blame you! Samsung recognizes this and is allowing Note 7 owners to trade in their affected devices for a new Galaxy S7 or S7 Edge. If you decide to replace your Note 7 with a Galaxy S7 or S7 Edge, you will be refunded the difference in cost between the two.
- Return for a Full Refund:
Another option is to simply return your Note 7 for a full refund. If you decide that you would like your money back, you can return not only your smartphone, but any related accessories as well. You will be issued a full refund for headphones, cases, and other related accessories that were purchased along with your device. Simply bring the Note 7 back to where you originally purchased it.
Regardless of which option is right for you, Samsung is also issuing Note 7 customers a $25 gift card, in-store credit, or bill credit for their inconvenience. If you own an affected device, you should stop using it and return it immediately. Samsung has already made significant progress on recalling the at-risk devices, and new replacements are already in stores. You likely could receive a new replacement on the very same day that you turn your old phone in.
Turn Your Old Phone In. It’s That Simple.
If you own a Galaxy Note 7 that has been recalled, bring it to your local retailer or wireless carrier today. It really is that easy to exchange your old device for a new one. You can walk into the store with your old phone and walk out with a new (safe) replacement in less time than it took you to read this article. So what are you waiting for?
- A Certified Refurbished product has been tested and certified to work and look like new, with minimal to no signs of wear, by a manufacturer or specialized third-party...
- Internal Memory: 64GB and 6GB of RAM.
- 4G LTE speed Provides fast Web connection for downloading apps, streaming content and staying connected with social media. 6.3" Quad HD+ Super AMOLED touchscreen...
- This Certified Refurbished product is tested and certified by the manufacturer or by a third-party refurbisher to look and work like new, with limited to no signs of...
- Power and reliability. The redesigned 3, 000Mah battery in the Galaxy S8 has been built to Pass an 8-point battery safety check.
- Infinity Display: a bezel-less, full-frontal, edge-to-edge screen. Default resolution is Full HD+ and can be changed to Quad HD+ (WQHD+) in Settings
- 5.7-inch Super AMOLED Capacitive Touchscreen, 1440 x 2560 pixel resolution with Corning Gorilla Glass 4
- Android v5.0 Lollipop (Upgradeable), Chipset: Exynos 7420 Octa, Processor: Octa-Core (Quad-Core 2.1 GHz Cortex-A57 & Quad-Core 1.5 GHz Cortex-A53), GPU: Mali-T760MP8
- 16 Megapixel Camera (2988 x 5312 pixels) f/1.9, 28mm, OIS, 1/2.6" Sensor Size + Front-Facing 5 Megapixel Camera with 1/4.1" Sensor Size, f/1.9, 22mm
Last update on 2019-05-02 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API