Living on your own is one of the biggest changes that comes with your first year of college.
Leaving the security and predictability of your parents’ home is an important step you need to take on the road to becoming a full-fledged adult.
For many freshmen, that means moving into the dorms.
Yet although dorm life means you’re free from your parents’ rules and a bit more independent than you were in high school, it isn’t exactly “adulting” the way you might have envisioned. Think about it: Most adults don’t have to worry about wearing flip-flops in the shower. They also typically don’t find themselves eating cereal for dinner because there’s nothing else to eat.
There are many reasons why living in a dorm may not be right for you, which is why you should take the time to consider whether or not you want to live on campus when starting your first year of college.
Here are some of the top reasons why living off campus may be a smart choice for you.
One of the best parts about dorm life is that you’re surrounded by people your own age who share similar experiences. That means you’re never alone, which is good and bad: If you’re someone who values the idea of “alone time,” living off campus might be right for you. Also, living off campus means you’ll be sharing your bathroom with one or two other people at most, instead of an entire floor.
Room and board is one of the single-biggest expenses you’ll have when you go to college. Living in the dorms means you won’t have to worry about shopping for groceries or paying rent, but it also means you have fewer options. Plus, the cost likely will be rolled into your student debt. Living off campus gives you the freedom to find a space that fits your budget, and you probably won’t still be paying for it when you reach retirement age.
Most dorm food is edible, to put it charitably. Though there’s a reason why there are usually a ton of fast food places so close to your campus. Living outside of campus means you won’t be stuck with the dining hall. Plus, with your own kitchen, you can prepare your meals. Nothing says “adulting” like preparing fresh, healthy meals for yourself.
College is an opportunity to explore the larger world, but that’s going to be difficult if you never leave campus. Living off campus means you’ll have more freedom to experience your community, especially if you go to school in a larger city. Even if your college has an abundance of cultural events and activities, there’s no substitute for real-world experience.
Living the dorm life is a big part of the college experience, but it doesn’t have to be if it’s not right for you. There are many ways in which living off campus can be a better option for you. What’s more, choosing whether you should live on campus can be a great first step on your way to becoming an independent adult.
Image Credit: Pixabay
quick share with your friends
Amazon Bestsellers: Off Campus College Furniture
- DURABLE - Built to withstand heavy daily use; made with sturdy Birch Plywood, baked enamel steel, and nickel-plated trim
- VERSATILE - Perfect for college dorms, summer camp or around the house; can be used as a nightstand, coffee table, and more
- STORAGE SPACE - 32 x 18 x 18.5 inches; provides more than 6 feet cubic feet of storage space
- Location, temperature, and humidity will affect the firmness of the airbed. Airbeds will need to be occasionally re-inflated (topped off) to maintain desired firmness...
- Measurements will vary based on the way in which the customer inflates the airbed. Airbeds are measured from the widest point including the beams (bulges) on the side and...
- 2 quick inflation and deflation valves.comfortable backrest and armrest
- HAMMOCK FOR TWO: The DoubleNest is versatile, durable, and compact, making it perfect for camping, hiking, or lounging around with a friend.
- ADVENTURE READY: Weighing only 19 ounces, the DoubleNest stuffs easily into attached storage bag. Packed Dimensions: (L x W) 5" x 5"; Unfolded Dimensions: (L x W) 9' 4" x...
- TRUSTWORTHY MATERIAL: Falling is not an option, unless it's to sleep. Made from 70D High Tenacity Nylon Taffeta, this breathable, quick drying nylon supports up to 400...
- Made in the USA. 365 day workmanship guarantee. Archival-quality UV-resistant inks. Pigment-based and designed to last.
- Printed on reusable vinyl
- Material: Wall Peel
- High-end class double sided circular table mirror, elegant, stylish and flawless.
- Diameter of 8", 1X and 5X Magnification. Sturdy anti-slip base, smooth 360-degree swivel rotation. Chrome finished.
- Perfect reflection, just the right and comfortable magnifying.
Last update on 2019-04-24 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API