As important as academics are while you’re in college, gaining real world experience can be equally important. Today’s job market is more competitive than ever before.
Because of this, it’s essential that you stand out from the crowd of other applicants when you’re looking for your first internship.
Internships are phenomenal way to gain real world experience while you’re still in school. Not only do you get to work in a real office setting, but you often get college credit for doing so. If you want to ensure that you land an internship, then follow these tips to make yourself stand out as an applicant.
Perfect Your Resume
Your resume is the first thing that potential employers see. Before you’re contacted and brought in for an interview, you’re judged by your resume. Although this puts a lot of pressure on you to craft the perfect resume, creating a stellar resume isn’t really all that difficult if you know what you’re doing.
First and foremost, remember to include all academic credentials on your resume. Even if you’re still obtaining your four year degree, if you already have a credential such as a certificate III in business administration, be sure to include that. The goal is to make yourself stand out as much as possible for your achievements. However, a good resume is short and sweet. You want to express your positive attributes as a jobseeker without being longwinded. It’s important to be concise. A good resume should never be more than two pages and one page is the ideal.
Dress The Part
With avant-garde and hipster fashion trends on the rise, it’s no wonder that a lot of young people are clueless about how to properly dress for a professional setting. While it might not seem fair to some, it’s important to remember that you’re judged on how you look when you interview for a job. That’s not to say that the interviewer won’t hire you because they don’t find you facially attractive or think that you’re overweight. Instead, you’ll be judged by the time and energy you put into grooming yourself.
This is why it’s crucial that both men and women invest in some professional ensembles. A job interview is not the time or place to make a fashion statement. Instead, remember the old adage of dressing for the job you want.
Even if it’s your very first job interview, confidence is key. You don’t want to come off as arrogant or cocky, but you want to come off as someone who is assertive, driven and ready to tackle any challenges throw your way. Modern college students have a reputation for being entitled and lazy, so it’s crucial that you demonstrate to the interviewer that you’re bucking that particular trend.
When you answer questions, you should speak with confidence. Don’t act as if you know everything, but act as if you’re someone who would be an asset to this company. You want to seem poised, but also open to learning new things.
If you follow these tips, you’re sure to land your first internship. This will be an invaluable experience that will prepare you for life after you graduate from college. It will also help to really boost your resume.
- Specifically fit for Apple Magic Keyboard MLA22LL/A, working with iPad / iPad Air / iPad Pro / iPad mini / iPhone / iMac (Case Only! Tablet and Apple Keyboard Not...
- Durable and high-quality soft material can well protect your keyboard from scratches and dust
- Slim and lightweight, easily slide into your briefcase, backpack, or other bag for convenient carry
- 9.7-inch Retina display
- A10 Fusion chip with 64-bit desktop-class architecture
- Touch ID fingerprint sensor
- Easy to Deploy: Out of the box. Supports English, German, French, Italian, and Spanish keyboard. Compatible with POS, iOS, Android, Windows, Mac OS, Linux, and Raspberry...
- Strong Recognition Ability: Can read various types of 1D barcode. Supports lightning scanning and upload of blurry or broken barcodes under strong and dim light
- Prolonged Battery Life and Connection Distance: Full charge allows 15 continuous working days. Less downtime, no shift interruptions. Connection distance reaches above 35...
Last update on 2019-05-02 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API