Whether you are just beginning the important life milestone of job hunting or you are planning on changing your current career, having the right resume is crucial to getting your next interview.
Your resume is often the first picture of you that your potential employer sees, and it can make or break whether you are put in the “interview” pile or the trash can.
Many programs offer instructions on how to start a resume using a template, and these templates are available for a variety of individual needs. You can find templates for job searchers who are just starting out from graduation to those looking to completely change their professions. With the abundance of potential programs out there, creating a resume from a template is an easy process.
Important Parts of Your Resume
Certain parts of your resume are specific to a targeted job, but the majority of it is neutral and simply explains who you are and what you can do. These sections should be short and succinct, grab the reader, and invite them to get to know you further as a qualified applicant for their job opening.
Your resume has to include your contact information, career objectives, skills, work experience, and education.
Information that remains consistent throughout your resume are the things that apply to everyone. Your contact information should be in your header, with your preferred name and contact preferences (email, phone number, etc.) Your work experience and your education won’t change, regardless of the position you hope to get, and your references, if you have any, will stay the same as well.
Sections that can be changed to be geared towards different positions include your objective and your skills. Your objective should be a summary of what you are looking for and why you are the best candidate for the job and can be adjusted to match the goals that are needed for the role you are applying for.
Your skills in general won’t change, but the ones you choose to showcase should be those that are pertinent to the position in question. Dealing with cash transactions is not important if the job you are applying for will not require that skill, so you may want to switch up that skill for one that better shows off your ability to do the new job.
The first thing that the employer will see is your overall format. Your resume should set a professional tone while not being overpowering with too many words, small font, or lengthy pages.
Most resumes are recommended to be condensed to one page unless the job you are looking into requires extensive experience. Your sections should be short and separated. The overall effect needs to be pleasing to the eye.
In addition to the visual aspects of formatting, be sure your resume is mistake-proof. The slightest spelling error can turn off a potential employer who may see you as lazy if you couldn’t be bothered to use spell-check or have your resume reviewed by a resume editor.
The Right Resume Can Get You Your Next Interview
Taking the time to create the perfect resume will get you your foot in the door. From there, you can wow them with your interview skills and winning personality, netting you the prized perfect job you’ve been working towards your whole life.
Image Credit: Pixabay
quick share with your friends
Amazon Bestsellers: PC Monitors (for college dorm or apartment)
- Monitor: 21.5-inch diagonal Full HD (1920x1080) IPS; Enjoy vibrant images with 178-degree wide-viewing angles
- Resolution and aspect ratio: Full HD and 16:9; 2 million pixels for crystal-clear visuals and vibrant image quality
- Response time: 7ms with overdrive; Get a smooth picture that looks crisp and fluid without motion blur
- True 16:9 Resolution 1600 x 900
- High Contrast Ratio: 5,000,000: 1.20 inches LED HD+ Monitor (19.5 inches Diagonal corner to corner). Dimensions With Stand (Inches) 18.01 x 7.02 x13.57 (inches)....
- HDMI, DVI or VGA Input. Power Range :100 - 240 VAC, 50/60 Hz, 1.1A (Max.)
- 21.5" Full HD (1920 x 1080) Widescreen IPS Display
- AMD Radeon FreeSync Technology
- Refresh Rate: 75Hz - Using HDMI Port
- 23.8" Full HD IPS Widescreen with 1920 x 1080 resolution
- Response Time: 4ms, Refresh Rate: 60Hz, Pixel Pitch: 0.2745mm
- The zero-frame design provides maximum visibility of the screen from edge-to-edge.
- 27" curved LED FHD monitor. OS Compatibility- Windows 10, Windows 8, Windows 7, macOS High Sierra, macOS Sierra, OS X El Capitan
- 1800R immersive curvature (very curved)
- HDMI, DisplayPort, VGA and speakers
Last update on 2018-10-18 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API