You’re a few months into your first year at college, the workload has picked up and you find yourself spending all your time either in lecture room, the library or in your dorm studying.
It’s easy to imagine and hard to avoid.
In the winter months especially, when days are shorter and temperatures colder, it’s tempting to keep warm inside rather than getting outside for some air.
However, fresh air has many benefits on the over-worked brain, so try to resist the temptation and get active outside.
Choose an outdoorsy college or campus
If you’re still choosing where to go for your further education, look for a school that’s got lots of outdoor space and many outdoorsy facilities or activities. For instance, NEC (New England College), prides itself on their New England College Adventure Bound Club, which dedicates itself to providing students, faculty and even staff with a variety of outdoor experiences.
From rock climbing to white water rafting, they offer their students and staff with the opportunity to take a break from the books and relax in physical activities that are not only good for physical and mental health, but also a great way to socialize. What’s more, the NEC Bound Club also offer in-house training programs in wilderness first-aid and team building exercises.
However, if you’re already at college, look into what sports and activities your school offers, or what’s happening in your local area. Take a risk and try out a new activity — lots of companies offer discounts, or free trials, to students, so make sure you ask before you book.
Join, or form, a running club
Even if you choose an inner-city campus or college, you’ll probably be close to a running (or other exercise) club. Not only will you be doing your body good, running can be great for problem solving — so you’ll have that tricky essay title sorted in no time — and you’ll meet so many new people, which is always a plus if you’re part a big campus.
If you can’t find any existing clubs, gather together a few friends and start up your own. If you want to meet new people, consider printing off some posters detailing a meeting time and place for your sessions and see who turns up. These kinds of entrepreneurial ideas look great on your resume too; future employees will be impressed with your ability to see a gap in the market and organize people.
The best bit, is that lots of these organized fitness groups are free! Saving you money for where you really need it.
Take study groups to the park
Have you always wanted an excuse to study whilst lying in the grass? Well, now you have it. Working from an outdoor space can decrease your stress levels, up your ability to concentrate, and give your body some much-needed Vitamin D.
You’ll need good weather for this one, so unless you’re at a West Coast college with year-round sunshine, maybe save your outside study groups for spring and summer. No one wants their laptop to get caught in the rain!
In whichever way you choose to get active outside, you’ll feel more energized and refreshed when you do come back to your studies. Taking a step away from your desk can actually be more beneficial than you’d think.
- 【Gorgeous Dancing Flames Lamp】-- Consists of 96 LEDs, each LED flickers warm yellow lights, mimicing extremely realistic & natural flames, create a romantic...
- 【Wireless & Rechargeable】-- With a high-capacity 1800mAh battery inside, it can give out soft light for a number of hours without any wire to bother you. The USB...
- 【Multi-use and Flexible】-- The round cone base & lamp stakes, ground spike and connecting piece are all included in the package for free. Just connect LED lamp with...
- HiGH QUALITY & DURABLE MATERIAL makes this rucksack backpack more high-end. With High quality LINEN make the backpack more soft and comfortable.The back side comes with...
- LARGE CAPACITY & STUFF ARRANGED TIDILY when using this knapsack. This travel laptop backpack 's approximate dimension is 18.5"H x 6.69"W x 10.63"L, Capacity: 22L. Laptop...
- NEW FEATURES. DRAWSTING CLOSURE at main compartment, which do secure your contents well. Fashionable NYLON lining, of red and white vertial stripes. ADJUSTABLE padded...
- Reasonable Size: Single hammock fits 1 person ( 108''L X 55''W ), have plenty of room which allows you lying down resting with enough space.
- Durable: Made of 210T parachute fabric material, has excellent antifraying, anti-tearing, intolerance dirty. Durable and soft hanmock for holding up to 400lb ( 180kg ).
- Super Length Straps: Each strap 157 inch lengths, you can wrap it around big trees or other objects, can be hanged or surrounded, best hammock straps kit ensures your...
Last update on 2019-05-02 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API