It’s not unusual to see graduates fresh off the college struggling to find their place in the corporate world.
The job market is harsh and competitive and not everyone is ready to jump into the rat race immediately.
This is why many young people embark on the journey abroad in search of opportunities for life and work.
It might seem daunting at first as you travel into the unknown and risk missing out on certain opportunities at home, but when you give it a deeper consideration, there are many exciting gains that far outweigh the risks. Working in another country can help boost your career, develop new skills, help you become more self-reliant and adaptable, and build your international network that will pay off in the future.
Here are several reasons why working abroad after graduation might be the best decision you’ve ever made!
You will learn to be resilient and adaptable
Working in a foreign country will put you in lots of unexpected situations that will challenge both your knowledge and your patience. You may not speak the native language nor fully grasp the local customs and culture.
You’ll quickly learn that it’s nothing like just visiting a foreign country. You’ll have to immerse yourself completely into a different lifestyle, from simple daily tasks, such as opening a bank account and grocery shopping, to dealing with your new coworkers and superiors.
The upside is that all of this will help build your resilience against any intimidating circumstances which will become a crucial factor in your personal and professional growth.
It might be very frustrating at first to change your ways and adapt to new work methods, but it will teach you to be a better communicator, and a more flexible, understanding and compassionate human being. Once you do return to your homeland, all of this will be your advantage for any job you might take.
You will develop your language skills
When you decide to move abroad and work, one skill you’re already taking with you is your mother tongue. English teachers are particularly in demand and as a native speaker, you should find work easily. There are plenty of opportunities ranging from summer camps to private schools. If your choice of destination takes you to Asia, joining the teaching staff at Monkey Tree TESL, for instance, might prove to be an excellent choice.
Whether you’re starting from scratch or looking to improve your existing teaching skills, this could be the best place to start. In a friendly learning environment and with passionate coworkers, you’ll be able to choose teaching different courses to young children and help them develop their language skills and build an all-around knowledge of English language and culture.
You will also have the opportunity to become fluent in the local language. You will come into contact with people from all walks of life on a daily basis, which will give you a unique opportunity to practice the language and learn about their culture and customs.
You’ll get a chance to help by volunteering
Working abroad will also give you an amazing opportunity to help local organisations and communities by volunteering your time, knowledge and skills. Volunteering projects may include all kinds of work, such as helping students, children, young people and the underprivileged. Devoting yourself to a beneficial cause will reward you with valuable experience and help you get to know yourself better by testing your limits and capabilities.
This experience will put you in various challenging situations where you’ll have to find new ways to solve problems and learn from your own mistakes.
One of the best advantages of this kind of work is that you’ll have the chance to build relationships and friendships with different people on an international level and when you do decide to go back home, maintaining these contacts could prove useful in your new job.
As a new graduate, the world of opportunities awaits you and you shouldn’t shy away from the chance to work abroad. Spending time in a foreign country will help your future career, help you build contacts, boost your resilience and confidence and develop your language skills. Whatever you decide to do later in life, this kind of experience will be invaluable!
other valuable readings:
Image Credit: Pexels
end of post … please share it!
Amazon Bestsellers: Travel Luggage (for college dorm or apartment)
- 20-inch hardside spinner luggage for weekend getaways or as international carry-on
- Protective hard shell with scratch-resistant finish; made of extra-thick ABS (thicker than the competition) for enhanced strength and durability
- Fully lined interior with divider; 150D-polyester interior organizer with 3 zippered pockets for conveniently storing smaller items
- 14 inches Tote & 20 inches Upright
- ABS+PC material, durable and lighter hard shell, features textured finish to prevent against scratches. The beveled edge design on the upper part increases toughness for...
- 20inch and 24inch luggage is perfect for business and personal travel, 28in is expandable add 15% to the scalable space.
- Sturdy ergonomic aluminum telescoping handle system provides fluent and smooth experience. The unique shaped multi-directional silent wheels will not make any noise when...
- Ultra-lightweight 600D shiny polyester construction
- Uprights have smooth-rolling in-line skate wheels for effortless mobility
- Multiple interior and exterior pockets keep you well organized
- Ultra light-weight construction
- Reinforced corners defend against the harshest travel conditions
- Multiple exterior and interior pockets keep you well organized
Last update on 2019-01-24 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API