One of the oft-overlooked aspects of college is the quality and competitiveness of their intramural sports.
Intramural sports are recreational activities that are organized within a particular institution, or geographical region.
Colleges often employ intramural sports as a way to spark healthy competition and camaraderie among students, in school and with other schools.
Intramurals are a great way to get active and break out of the library to get some sunshine every once and a while. Here is a list of some of the best intramural sports, from conventional to quirky.
Even if there isn’t an ice rink in sight, floor hockey is a great alternative. Players generally wear athletic shoes instead of skates, but the game can typically be played the same as ice hockey. Universities such as Drexel University and others offer floor hockey as an intramural sport.
If you like to relive the days of your childhood in your grade school yard playing kickball for P.E., then kickball is your sport. Imagine—if you kicked a ball as far as you did in elementary school, think of how far you can kick it now, as an adult!
Let your Harry Potter dreams come to fruition when you pick up a broomstick and race down the field to catch the snitch. You may not be able to fly in real life, but if you can run, you can certainly play Quidditch. The positions are similar to the books—the chasers move the quaffle (a volleyball) down the field, while the beaters throw bludgers (dodgeballs) at the opposing team’s players. The keeper defends the goals, and finally, there is the snitch. If you were your track team’s star athlete in high school, then you may want to take the honor of being the snitch. Believe it or not, you can find Quidditch on some university and other college campuses.
If you are more of the sedentary type, look no further than table tennis. Also known as ping-pong, table tennis allows all the joy of tennis but none of the running. However, don’t be fooled—table tennis is a sport that requires refined skill and quick muscle movements. A table tennis match between two highly skilled players is quick and intense. If you tend to spend many of your hours in your home or school’s rec room playing ping-pong, than this may be the game for you.
This internationally popular sport has become more and more popular in the United States in recent years, particularly on college campuses. If you want to play a sport that is a twist on our beloved game of football, then you may want to try rugby. Arguably, however, rugby is more intense in a few ways. For example, and probably the most important, you do not wear any padding besides a simple helmet.
This sport has become synonymous with college culture. The first widely recognized Ultimate Frisbee league was created in 1969 in the parking lot of a college campus. Ultimate Frisbee combines some rules of soccer, football, and even basketball to make for an entertaining and engaging sport. What’s more is that this is a no-contact sport, which allows you to play more freely without the worry of a collision.
Dodgeball is another sport that harkens back to the days of elementary school, and even high school. However, dodgeball is a timeless sport. If you are quick on your feet, and good at lobbing a ball at another player, this is your sport.
Cornhole is the go-to game at parties, restaurants, and bars, and for good reason: it’s fun. This sport is another preferred game for the less athletically-inclined, and yet it still takes a lot of skill. For instance, the pitcher must stand behind a line that marks a thirty-foot line. If you have yet to do an underhand toss that far, it may be worth a try.
You can never go wrong with an American classic—softball. Softball is an enjoyable sport that requires you to not only hit hard but run fast as well. Of course, you will need the proper equipment, which is more than some other sports require. Make sure you equip yourself with a regulation bat, padding, and softball gloves—the gear required can get a bit pricey, but there are ways to circumvent these high costs. Find gear online; you can buy baseball bats and softball gloves here for great prices—hitting the diamond shouldn’t mean draining your bank account.
College is a time to make new friends and try new things. Get involved in an intramural sport to make memories you will never forget.
- Pullover Style and Removeable Pads High support Sports Bra.
- This High-support sport bra and a comfy racerback in smooth Body-Wick fabric to keep you cool, from cycling to circuit training.
- The Ladies High-support Bra Top Is Perfect For Training Sessions Down At The Gym, Constructed With A Built In Bra For Added Support Along With Ventilation Panels And Wide...
- Please check the suggested chest carefully before you order and money-back satisfaction guarantee
- Polyester fabric wicks moisture away from skin, dries quickly and is soft to the touch ,Excellent breathability and ventilation
- Reflective logo increase visibility in low-light conditions
- Tesla Brand Certified Guaranteed to be the best and only Yoga wear you'll ever need. If you are not satisfied for any reason, 30-Days NO RISK 100% Full Refund Assurance.
- Capri 21" Inseam with High-Waist Active Elastic Waistband: Exceptional Stay in place elastic waistband that is fabulous, stylish, and appropriate.
- Buy with confidence "Premium Quality Yoga Pants at a Bargain Price" (Equal high quality and build material as compared to other $50+ Brands)
Last update on 2019-02-03 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API