Most college students need vehicles for getting to classes or work.
Those going to school out of town may also need transportation for heading home on the weekends.
Here are four ways to keep costs low while staying on the road.
Pick a Used Vehicle
Rather than opting for that expensive new car that is going to come with huge monthly payments, college students should be willing to look at quality used vehicles. Looking for dealerships with pre-owned Fords for sale, for example, would be a step in the right direction. Cars that are two to three years old are often still in great condition but are sold at a fraction of the cost of similar newer models.
Consider Gas Mileage
While some people may be tempted to save money by buying an older used car, they may actually be wasting their money in other key areas. For example, many cars that are more than a few years old have low gas mileage. These college students may be saving on their auto loans, but they will be shelling out plenty of money at the pump every week especially if they have long distances to drive to work or home every weekend.
Budget for Automobile Insurance
All drivers are required to carry automobile insurance and to be able to provide proof of insurance if they are stopped by law enforcement. This can be a major cost for some, and individuals should consider ways to lower insurance costs in order to stay on the road.
While new cars can be quite costly to insure, other factors affecting insurance rates include annual mileage driven, insurance extras chosen, such as low deductibles, and the car itself. Cars that are flashier, more expensive or more apt to be stolen will cost far more in insurance.
Opt for Frugal Maintenance
Once the student owns the car, it is time to take care of it to keep it road-worthy as long as possible. One of the best tips is to take care of known problems quickly before they become exponentially more expensive. In addition, some repairs, such as small body repairs or oil changes, can be done oneself with just a little bit of help via the Internet.
Budgeting for a vehicle is a must. Not only must monthly loan payments be taken into account, but also students should consider the costs for insurance, maintenance and repairs. By considering the cost, it will be less stressful to stay on the road even after heading off to college.
Image Credit: Pixabay
end of post … please share it!
Amazon Bestsellers: Student Desk Lamp (for college dorm or apartment)
- Built-in USB outlet port phone & device charging; Extending, adjusting neck - great space saver; Cool stylish white modern contemporary design
- 3 level dimmer dimming from task to ambient light; Nichia high efficiency LED, best longest lasting; Save up to 65% energy -uses as little as 3 watts
- Good for home, office, college dorm, school, hotel; Basic style for men, women, teens, kids, students; For computer or writing desk, bed side table; For homework, study,...
- Gentle on the eyes: provides a flicker-free lighting for reading, working, or studying
- Customizable illumination: led desk lamp features 5 color modes with 7 brightness levels each
- Modern design: naturally fits with any type of decor, including office or bedroom
- METAL MATERIAL: The lamp is integrated with high-quality metal lampshade and base, enduring, durable and aesthetic, brightens your living room, bedroom or study room.
- ON/OFF SWITCH: The switch is located on the base of the lamp for quick and easy use.
- BULB REQUIREMENTS: Bulb is not included in the package. With an E26 sized screw base, the bulb can be installed as desired. We suggest you using LED bulb 4W-6W, energy...
- 4 Lights Match Your Purpose: Choose between 4 unique lights with 5 custom levels of brightness for work, study, reading, or relaxing
- Convenient USB Charging: Recharge your devices via the built-in 5V/1A USB output; keep your smartphone or tablet within reach while charging
- Multi-Angle Adjustments for Optimized Lighting: Rotate the lamp arm up to 140° or swivel the base by 180° for a more direct illumination
- 【CUSTOMIZE YOUR ILLUMINATION】- Dimmable LED desk lamp features 5 color mode with 5 brightness level each, enabling you to customize your desired light based on use....
- 【EYE-CARING 42 LED SOURCE】- With 42 high-quality LED beads, this reading desk lamp emits uniform, soft and non-flickering light, which can effectively relieve eye...
- 【CONVENIENT USB CHARGING PORT】 - Designed with a USB charging port into the lamp base to charge your mobile devices, perfect for phones, tablets, e-readers, or...
Last update on 2019-11-15 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API