Anxiety and depression are no longer buzzwords and are no longer associated with eccentricity.
They are bonafide health issues which require medical diagnosis and a proper treatment.
A recent study has revealed that 1 in 5 college students currently suffer from anxiety or depression.
There are many underlying factors to this, which include increasing debt, peer-pressure, among others.
College can be a wonderful, joyous time for students. It helps form life-long bonds. After all, it’s where students spend 4 years of their lives with young, like-minded, impressionable individuals. But it can also become a harrowing experience for someone who suffers from social anxiety and can exacerbate symptoms.
Imagine this scenario: Natasha got a got SAT score and entered a college of her choice. Everything seemed sunny, even exhilarating at first. However, a few weeks into college, she started feeling a pressure on her chest, tingling in her arms and legs, and back.
At first, she thought it was a heart attack. University campus’s health wing gave her a clean chit; her heart was fine, but the symptoms persisted. Moreover, the increased pressure of class assignments, signing up for various clubs, got to her, and one day, she got a panic attack.
Natasha was diagnosed with borderline anxiety, and mild Asperger’s. All her physical symptoms were manifestations of mental ones, the ones she kept ignoring.
Natasha didn’t realize that in order to meet her own impossible standards and her parents’ expectations, she was doing a bit too much. She was on the verge of a burnout.
Students suffering from depression tend to become lonely and isolated. Moreover, their peers tend to ignore them or completely shut them off. This is not a healthy sign and results in unhealthy coping mechanisms
Perils of Technology
Although technology and social media have helped us keep in constant touch with others, they have also played a role in alleviating anxiety and depressive behavior among people, mostly college students. The constant barrage of information compels college-goers to seek continuous validation from peers.
This results in harmful practices, delusional tendencies, impaired social interaction, and often violent behavior. Sometimes, students aren’t able to tell a difference between the real and the virtual life. This results in social anxiety as the physical world quickly becomes dry and unappealing for such students.
Continuous seeking of validation and a pressure to excel causes symptoms of anxiety and depression among college students. As a result of the above, a lack of healthy communication and proper counseling, students often turn to drugs as a sort of a refuge.
other valuable readings:
Students must realize that self-care is important and try to communicate and seek good counseling.
Image Credit: Pixabay
end of post … please share it!
Amazon Bestsellers: Cooking Pans (for college dorm or apartment)
- 3 piece cookware set includes 8 inch, 9.5 inch, and 11 inch fry pans to fit any meal need
- Durable aluminum construction and even heat base prevents hot spots
- Quality nonstick interior and exterior for easy cooking and cleanup; PFOA, Lead and Cadmium-free
- 8-piece nonstick cookware set includes 8-inch fry pan, 10-inch fry pan, 1.5-quart sauce pan with lid, 2 quart saucepan with lid, and 3-quart casserole pan with lid
- Aluminum body with non-stick coating for easy cooking and cleaning--BPA-free
- Comfortable soft-touch handles stay cool during use, vented glass lids let steam escape
- Heavy-gauge aluminum construction ensures even heating and is hard-anodized for durability It also makes it dishwasher-safe
- Interior includes three layers of nonstick coating - two layers provide durability and the third layer offers easy release performance. Utensils: Nylon, Coated or Wood....
- The long, brushed stainless steel handles are designed to stay cool on the stovetop. Pans and covers are also oven safe, making it ideal for finishing a gourmet dish
- Set includes 7.75-inch and 11-inch fry pans, 1-quart and 2-quart sauce pans with lids, a 5.5-quart dutch oven with lid, a 10.25-inch griddle, and a spoon, ladle, and...
- Heavy-gauge aluminum construction for fast, even heating; Thermo-Spot indicator for properly pre-heating fry pans
- Nonstick interior and exterior for low-fat cooking and easy cleaning; PFOA, Lead, and Cadmium-free
- Rachael Ray Cucina Cookware features rustic, modern color, functionality and design to enhance mealtime warmth and hospitality, It includes two covered saucepans (1-qt/...
- Crafted with durable aluminum and sturdy hard enamel porcelain exteriors; espresso-colored, PFOA-free nonstick releases foods effortlessly
- The 12-piece cookware set boasts dual-riveted rubberized stainless steel handles and shatter-resistant glass lids; includes slotted turner and spoon
Last update on 2019-11-15 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API